A huge THANK YOU goes out to the hundreds of neighbors and supporters that turned out for the Public Hearing in Stockton last night! We definitely made an impression on the Planning Commission and showed them we are united and we are many. It will be equally important that we make an even bigger statement when we go to our next hearing in two weeks.
I’m sorry that our committee was unable to give you advanced notice regarding the requested continuance and I wanted to be sure everyone understands when and why this was done. We were notified around 4:30 PM on October 20th that one of the Planning Commissioners would not be present at the hearing and it was explained that we will be required to get 3 votes to win this case. It is much more difficult to get 3 out of 4 votes, then it would be to get 3 out of 5 votes and therefore it would be in our best interest to ask for a continuance. We were also advised that we could request it in writing prior to 5pm, but there was no assurance that it would be granted. The applicant and his attorney would have to agree, and all the commissioners would have to agree be a continuance can be granted. I was advised to move forward as though the hearing was going to take place and to be prepared to give our statements.
Before we decided on this issue, we discussed this with a Land Attorney and with a Senior Development Consultant and both emphatically agreed that we should request the continuance under these circumstances. We barely emailed the continuance request letter just before we left for the hearing and we had no idea if it were even received, let alone what would happen. We didn’t have time to update websites or call everyone, and we felt if we tried to explain as everyone was entering the building it would create too much disruption.
For future direct communication we would like to create an email distribution list, so we can quickly blast out an email to everyone should there be an urgent communication. Please opt-in by sending an email to StopLaborCamp@yahoo.com